Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Smells like teen spirit


I've been a fan/stalker of Ms. Sarah Brown's blog for years. Finally, her humor in book form via teenage angst-filled diary entries compiled in a neat little package. I bought Cringe today and I've already read half of it. It's like reading through all my Corona notebook journals tucked away in a box somewhere in my parents' house. The obsessive chronicling of daily outfits ("gray peter pan shirt, green-and-blue checkered culottes"), the pining after boys next door, the irrational parental hate, etc. It's all coming back to me now.

I think I started a journal in second or third grade. It was all about Paolo, who lived a few blocks from me and whose older sister I was busmates with. He played basketball and looked like a puffer fish, which I found very charming. I made up stories about how we'd ride our bikes to the park together and get ice cream. Oh my God.

To the face that launched my bicycle countless times, I think of you and cry. I think of you and smile. I think of you and laugh. I think of you and scream. I think of you and jump up and down. I think of you and want to see you again. I think of you and wonder, do you think of me, too?

This and other gems like I HATE HER!!! BYE! and I Find Myself Collectively Insane and much, much more.

5 Comments:

Blogger sarski said...

hmmm...that reminds me of the purefoods hotdog commercial: "good bye, candy..good bye chocolate..good bye, hotdog (long pause)... good bye, carlo!"

bongga, mel! you have actually written those fantasies down? ako ya, ara tanan sa imagination. turns out the guy i was pining on in my childhood days is gay. oh well...

10:00 AM  
Blogger M said...

nge! sarah ah. waay2 gid ya gaydar mo!

11:14 PM  
Blogger sarski said...

well, well, well...who initially thought those two middle eastern dudes were gay only to learn too late they're not? :D

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh mels!Parang I want to read the book. Haha. My first crush was a waiter at Bob's restaurant. I was four years old. :-D

12:01 PM  
Blogger M said...

ohmigod! my first crush in bob's was their cheesy potato!

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home